The Society of Women Accountants of Nigeria, SWAN, was inaugurated in Nigeria on Friday 28th April, 1978 by a ten (10) man founding members initiated by Chief (Mrs.) Elizabeth Adegite (FCA, PP, JP).
The ten man membership is:
i. Late Chief Mrs. Olakunri Olutoyin (FCA, PP)
ii. Late Otunba Ayola Bola Kuforiji-Olubi (FCA, PP)
iii. Mrs. Ibironke Mojisola Osiyemi (FCA, PP, JP)
iv. Chief (Mrs) Elizabeth Omeresan Adegite (FCA, PP, JP)
v. Mr. Olusola Isikalu Akinbami (FCA)
vi. Mrs. N.A. Shoaga (FCA)
vii. Mr. M. Adeyeye-Olukoya (FCA)
viii. Chief F.O. Fadipe (FCA)
ix. Chief A. Animashaun (FCA)
x. Chief (Dr.) Anthony Asuquo Ani (FCA)
SWAN membership is made up of all female members of the Institute of Chartered Accountants of Nigeria (ICAN).
We would like to thank the President, Past Presidents and members of the Council of ICAN, Grand Patrons and our male colleagues in the profession for the support that they have continued to give to SWAN. We reaffirm total commitment to maintaining the ideals of our noble profession and improving our contributions to ICAN and the general public. We continue to count on their support and goodwill.
To be the preferred Professional Women Association Globally.
To be relevant, impactful, empower and mentor female Chartered Accountants to attain and maintain the ideals of ICAN.
Aims & Objectives
The objectives for which SWAN is established are:
To assist ICAN in the protection of its Charter, status and interest of the female members of the Institute; promoting and maintaining high standards of efficiency and professional conduct and without prejudice to the generality of the foregoing.
- Consider all questions affecting the interests of the accountancy profession at large.
- Stimulate the interest of women to join the accountancy profession
- Encourage and assist women entering the accountancy profession
- Inform the public and the profession of the abilities and achievements of women in accounting
- Promote the continuing education, intellectual growth and professional knowledge, and support leadership aspirations of its members within and outside the profession.
- Encourage members to participate actively in the affairs of ICAN and other professional accountancy organizations outside Nigeria.
- Create a forum for the objective studies of contemporary issues in accounting.
- Undertake projects that would enhance the image of women in the profession and in general.
- Promote international contact between members of SWAN and other women accountants outside Nigeria.
- Sensitize women accountants of their potentials, abilities and endowments in order to make them excel and remain relevant in their various fields.
- To Arrange:
- activities on matters relating to the profession: and
- Social meetings with a view to enabling members and their guests meet informally and improve mutual understanding.